Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Miraculous Journey of Edward TulaneThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo




I LOVED this sweet, meaningful story so much that as soon as I finished the library's audio version (which is VERY well done) I purchased the hardbound copy for my own library! Edward Tulane is quite the dapper china rabbit, and he knows it. He's loved dearly by Abilene, the little girl who owns and cares for him so carefully, but he has a heart as cold as the china he's made from and loves only himself. Then he abruptly loses his privileged life and finds himself adrift in the real world where he must adapt and survive with help from the diverse and memorable people who cross his path. Along the way, Edward is brought low by circumstances, but he learns humility, how to survive, and eventually how to find his way home.

Although this may have been written for younger readers I believe it will be enjoyed by people of all ages. If you don't cry at some point you're as heartless as Edward is in the beginning. However, despite the tears, you will be left with a happy ending. I have to admit that I bawled like a baby when I finished this book, a modern classic.

This is a WONDERFUL, worthy read, the story will touch your heart, and the illustrations are lovely.
Kate DiCamillo is also the author of The Tale of Despereaux, Because of Winn Dixie and over a dozen other books.
quotes:

“I have been loved, Edward told the stars. So? said the stars. What difference does that make when you are all alone now?”
. . .

"I'm done with being loved," Edward told her. "I'm done with loving. It's too painful." . . .

"Open your heart," she said gently. "Someone will come. Someone will come for you. But first you must open your heart."



View all my reviews

No comments: