Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Someone Knows My NameSomeone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This slave narrative was a hard book to read and I kept putting it down because of its depressing nature, and because I felt the story was told in a dry, exacting, and punishing tone. But finish it I did, and I feel like I am a better person for what I gained in knowledge, understanding and the appreciation of my many blessings. Well researched historical fiction, it is the amazing story of a fictional 11-year-old African girl stolen from her family and sold into slavery. The incidents are taken from actual events. It tells of her horrendous journey from Africa to South Carolina, to New York where she eventually gains her freedom, to Nova Scotia where there was an actual community for freed black slaves, to London, then back to Africa, and again to London where she is instrumental in helping to secure freedom and rights for the Negro people there. The title for the book comes from the ledger that the British used to record "loyal" slaves who were set free and sent to a black settlement Nova Scotia where they were welcome until an economic collapse brought about the first white attack on a black settlement. I felt the "happy" ending was a bit unrealistic and too contrived. I recommend the book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and would specifically like to learn more about slavery and Black history.
It made me appreciate all the wonderful blessings I have in my life. Overall, this was a great book.

View all my reviews

No comments: