Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Babette's Feast and Sorrow-Acre: Two Isak Dinesen Short Stories Unabridged

Babette's Feast/Sorrow-AcreBabette's Feast/Sorrow-Acre by Isak Dinesen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

These are both short stories/vignettes, by Danish writer Isak Dineson, the pseudonym of Karen Blixen, author of Out of Africa and her writing is superb.
"Through all the world there goes one long cry from the heart of the artist: Give me leave to do my utmost." So writes Dinesen in Babette's Feast as she spins a tale of friendship's ultimate sacrifice and the deepest values of life.
Sorrow-Acre is a lyrical story of heartbreaking beauty about an old woman who gives her life for her son's life. These two complete stories echo Babette's plea with haunting poignancy. I listened to the audio book.

View all my reviews

No comments: