Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Storied Life of A.J. FikryThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Definitely for book lovers, this quirky story about bibliophiles is cute at times and profound at others. I was impressed with the development of characters, for whom I cared deeply, with all their respective faults. They were skillfully presented in such a tight, coherent package. There is some lovely dialogue where the author jumps from these characters' points of view within the same scene and she does it brilliantly and effortlessly. From the publisher, "...unforgettable tale of transformation and second chances, an irresistible affirmation of why we read, and why we love.”

Hilarious. Honest. It is the kind of book you should not read in bed beside your sleeping husband. He didn't appreciate my snorts of laughter. Also gave a little peak inside the book publishing world and genres that are overused, slightly abused, and great one liners to say to a police officer, "You're a genre." If they are not well read, they won't get it. I did. I snorted a laugh. My poor husband. Hand it to your book group and listen to them swoon.





View all my reviews

No comments: