Saturday, March 28, 2015

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster BoyLizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved everything about this book and have added Gary D. Smith to my favorite authors list. This is coming-of-age historical fiction at is best, with gorgeous lyrical writing and heart-wrenching emotional reactions. The various themes and conflicts are delicately and deftly presented and handled. Schmidt not only has a remarkable way with words, but his characters almost seem to leap from his book because they are so real. A compelling and powerful read, it will stay with me long after I closed the cover. This book is beautiful, and just when I thought I had it completely figured out, it surprised me.

Based on a real place and real people. The author just gave a name to some of the people and created a character based on vague details of a person. Newberry Honor Award. There are Biblical references and allegories throughout that make this book a good one to discuss.
Young-adult, historical-fiction. If I were an elementary teacher I would read it to my class.

favorite quote:
“Books can ignite fires in your mind, because they carry ideas for kindling, and art for matches.”

View all my reviews

No comments: