Thursday, November 1, 2018

Virgil WanderVirgil Wander by Leif Enger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Leif Enger's book, Peace Like a River, has occupied a place in my heart for 9 or 10 years and I have waited for him to write another. Like his earlier novel, there are some magical moments and also some dark forces at play in the fictional small midwestern "Bad Luck" town of Greenstone. The author allows you to decide which ends up stronger. I couldn't put down this beautifully written book with its memorable characters, laugh-out-loud scenes, mystery, and lyrical prose. I was absolutely charmed by this heartwarming uplifting read. Goodreads reviewer Larry H said, "This is a difficult book to describe, but it felt so wonderful, almost like a hug in literary form." I can't think of of a more apt comment.

View all my reviews