Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Hate U GiveThe Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Hate U Give, an extremely powerful story about racism and police violence in America, is told from a black 16 year old girl's point of view and is one of the best books I have read so far this year. . . the sort of book that there can always be more of! Considering the amount of profanity used in this impressively important & timely novel, friends who follow my reviews may be surprised by my 5 star rating because I usually dock a book 1 point for language. But it is real and the language is necessary. It is an engaging, well-written story with complex characters that are real, likable, and all-too-human. It’s compassionate, complex, powerful, and profoundly sad yet is also uplifting and positive without being preachey. There is also some humor that had me laughing out loud. I "read" the audio book and the narrator is superb.

View all my reviews

No comments: