Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Girl Who Wrote in SilkThe Girl Who Wrote in Silk by Kelli Estes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story tells of Seattle's 1880's Chinese Exclusion Act, something of which I, along with most Americans, was unaware until now. The story begins with some action right off the bat as we meet Mei Lien, one of the two young, brave women separated by a century but woven together by a single, intricate piece of embroidery. The stories of these two women is interspersed throughout the book but is never overwhelming. I predicted the ending a bit too early in the book but found myself reading "just another chapter" to see how it got there....and I was treated with some interesting twists along the way.... however I felt the mystery and connected events were all tied all up too neatly in the end. I can say that this book has interesting, likable characters, accurate (and startling) historical facts, a bit of adventure, a bit of romance without being smutty (THANK YOU!!!) and a mystery. The story does go between the past and the present, but it is skillfully handled and very easy to follow.

View all my reviews

No comments: