Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Snow ChildThe Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a magical, beautifully written fairy tale for adults, with superb descriptions of homesteading in the Alaskan wilderness in the 1920's. It is loosely based on the Russian Fairy tale of Snegurochka, the Snow Maiden. Eowyn Ivery's lyric prose and imagery captured my attention from the beginning. I felt the brutal cold, saw the landscape, felt the deep pain of the childless couple, Mabel & Jack, and loved the snow child, Faina. It's a book about survival, physical and emotional, but it's also about hope and renewal. I read this several months ago and with 0℉ outside my home the past several days this short novel has been on my mind. I think this is one of those books that stays with the reader long after finishing it. Highly recommend.








View all my reviews

No comments: