Saturday, August 2, 2014

The GoldfinchThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A very good book, with great writing and a gripping story line. The fairy tale quality makes it markedly different from so much of modern fiction. It gripped me from the start, BUT then I got bogged down and found myself skimming through about 300 pages which add nothing redeeming to this potential 5 star work. It would have benefited by having length and excess detail edited/removed. I was so happy to finally get to the conclusion. Result: 1 star docked from my rating. Another 1 star docked because it is dark and seedy...drugs, underworld, gambling, child neglect, violence, prostitution. The author is gifted, and she did not win the Pulitzer for nothing, however, I am surprised by it and all the rave reviews.


View all my reviews

No comments: