Sunday, May 27, 2012

Firefly LaneFirefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The story is trite, unrealistic, cliched, formulaic, overdone, and one dimensional, nevertheless I did keep reading wanting to find out what happened next. It deals with the stereotypical choice of women of the 60's and 70's: career vs. family, but overall it is supposed to be a story about a wonderful and enduring friendship. Yet as one reader succinctly commented, "in reality it's a long, depressing narrative of a profoundly abusive relationship. The fact that neither of these women seem to have any other friends is a clue to their unhealthy dependency on each other." I would not want a young person to read it because it treats getting high on pot, alcohol consumption and sex outside of marriage as the norm and no-big-deal.
If you liked Beaches you'll probably love this. Overall, it lacked that something that makes me know that I'ma better person for having read it. Oh, and did I mention, it's way too long.




View all my reviews

No comments: